I will look into this research a little more and write something more in-depth including my experiences and some potential research of my own.
As of right now I do see a horrible trend of women being treated as lessor coaches even though they have better qualifications. On the other hand I have seen some very qualified males get the shaft just because the other candidate was female. This is also prevalent in some of the administration position in youth sport organizations. I truely support the idea that women need to coach female athletes, but only if they are qualified.
I have not looked into the data the article speaks about that was produced by the NCAA and the constraints/barriers to women coaches, but let's look at the life of the youth sport Mom.
- Generally speaking the woman runs the household i.e. does laundry, cleans, grocery shops, takes care of the kids, literally puts food on the table to name a few.
- Most probably work part time and/or volunteer at their child's school.
- Helps children with homework.
- Listens to husband's complaints about work.
I hope you see where I am going. Time! Time can be and probably is why we do not see as many women coaching as we should. Society and societies norms have not caught up to what we think should be happening.
Change is a very difficult thing!
Read the above article and check back in a few days for more comments.
No comments:
Post a Comment